The Italian meatballs and the sausages both go well with the braised lentils. Add a spoon full of salsa verde of the full Italian effect.
- 200gr small green or brown lentils
- Small bunch of sage or rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the lentils and place them in a saucepan. Cover them with water and add the herbs, tomatoes and the garlic cloves.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the lentils, until tender but not mushy. Top up with water if required.
- When the lentils are cooked drain most of the cooking liquid. Dress the lentils with the red wine vinegar and olive oil. Mush up the garlic, and stir it in then season to taste. Serve warm.