An American classic, Meatloaf is a great way to feed a few people.
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot – peeled and grated
- 1 tsbp vegetable oil
- 750g minced kid
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of sage or rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or equivalent butter
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 150ml cold chicken or kid stock, or water
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4.
- In a saucepan cook the onions and carrot in the oil until soft. Remove to a plate and cool.
- Place all the ingredients, including the cooled vegetables, in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the mix to a 900g loaf tin lined with greaseproof and pat down. Cover the top of the mixture with another piece of greaseproof paper.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes until the meatloaf is cooked through. (Remove the paper 10 minutes before the end of cooking to allow the top to colour).
- Rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
*Best served with some warmed tomato sauce from the baked bean recipe…